Key Take Aways From Vice-Chancellor’s Meeting With Principals Of Science Colleges & Heads Of GU Departments
On Thursday, August 6, 2015, Gujarat University Vice-Chancellor Dr. MN Patel called a meeting of heads of all departments of Gujarat University, as well as principals / heads of all science institutes of Ahmedabad, affiliated to Gujarat University. GUSEC coordinators appointed by these departments and institutes were also present during the meeting.
This meeting was a follow up meeting to the letter the Vice-Chancellor had written to all principals of GU affiliated institutes letter the Vice-Chancellor had written to all principals of GU affiliated institutes earlier in July.
In a meeting that lasted well over two hours, the heads and their coordinators of the institutes and the departments were briefed regarding GUSEC, the university’s and the Vice-Chancellor’s vision, as well as way forward agenda.
The Vice-Chancellor and his team stressed on the importance of cooperation from administrative and academic staff of the institutes and departments of Gujarat University and discussed several points for the way-forward agendas, and gave the attendees an opportunity to discuss possible challenges.
Key take aways from the discussions:
- Focus on around 100 student startups during the initiation, who should be provided all possible support extensions that GUSEC can
- Simultaneously, carry out sensitisation programs in order to inspire as many students as possible to take up the route of entrepreneurship
- Prepare case studies of existing and alumni Gujarat University entrepreneurs and publish the same on GUSEC’s website
- Case studies of unsuccessful initiatives and startups should also be published in order to help students not make the same mistakes again
- Gujarat University should recognise and endorse student startups in order to enhance the credebility of student startups
- Proper supervision from faculty coordinators can help nurture an entrepreneurship culture and ensure that the aid reaches the right students
- Focus on need-based research in order to match the industry needs and student skills.
The heads of institutes and departments as well the coordinators were briefed regarding their roles and responsibilities and discussions regarding ways of communicating between GUSEC’s Operational Team and GUSEC Institute Coordinators were also held.
The Vice-Chancellor concluded the meeting by sharing that it was his dream to constitute a dynamic agency such as GUSEC in the state’s oldest university and asked for the cooperation of all present attendees.
A similar meeting with the principals of other GU affiliated institutes of Ahmedabad zone is expected to be conducted in the next few weeks, soon after which meetings with principals of other zones of GU affiliated institutes will be conducted in a similar fashion.